Do this because
Experience a ghost tour in the safety of the daylight hours and learn all about Edinburgh’s haunted past
Explore the famous Blair Street Underground Vaults
Enjoy a personal tour in a small group
Learn about murderers, torturers, and the real Jekyll and Hyde
What to expect
The true history of the Blair Street Underground Vaults is terrifying enough – so abandon thoughts of manufactured frights and make-believe. The skill is in the storytelling so prepare to be chilled to the bone as the vaults witnessed the deeds of mischief-makers and murderers, vagrants and torturers.
It’s one of Edinburgh’s most haunted sites, where restless spirits still tread. You’ll follow your cloaked guide through the shadowy closes of Edinburgh’s Old Town – dark streets untouched by daylight and filled with a strange silence, whose damp walls carry just the faintest echo of the crowds on the high street you’ve left behind.
With the scene set, you’ll descend into the depths of the city and listen in horror to its dark and sinister side. Torture, murder, hangings; from body snatchers to the real-life Jekyll and Hyde, you’ll be gripped by the true stories that lie hidden beneath Edinburgh’s streets.
COVID-19 informationThe following health and safety measures are in place, so you can relax and enjoy your experience.
Visitor numbers are limited to reduce crowds
The experience complies with government regulations
Social distancing is enforced
Areas frequented by visitors are regularly disinfected
Hand sanitizers are provided for staff and visitors
All gear/equipment is sanitised between use
Walking tour with professional guide
Mercat Cross, The Royal Mile, Edinburgh EH1 1RF, United Kingdom
The Mercat Cross is an 8 sided monument situated on the Royal Mile. The tour departs from right in front of it.
Receive a 100% refund if you cancel up to 24 hours before the activity begins.
Important to know
- Please note this tour is only available in English
- Please arrive at the meeting point at least 15 minutes before the beginning of your tour
- Tour ends: Discovery Room, Blair Street, off Hunter's Square
- Devices will be used so that the guide is still heard clearly whilst wearing PPE
- Concession tickets apply to seniors and students, with a valid ID
- Children over five years of age are very welcome
- Please bring your own set of 2.5mm jack headphones (where possible) for use with the TourTalk devices
- Please note anyone who appears to be under the influence of alcohol will not be permitted to join the tour
- This tour runs in all weather conditions, please dress accordingly to the weather. Sensible walking shoes are advised
- There are facilities to store your bags/luggage
- Please note only service dogs are welcome on this tour
- The maximum number of participants is 18 people