Do this because
Discover a unique tour performed by professional actors
Enjoy a theatrical presentation of Edinburgh's literary heritage by a lively duo named Clart and McBrain
Learn the history of Edinburgh's many most famous writers, including Sir Walter Scott and Robert Louis Stevenson
Become immersed in a lively duologue, spanning approx 300 years of Scottish literary history, as you stop in each pub for a drink
What to expect
Join the intrepid duo, Clart (as in muck!) and the clean-hankied intellectual Mcbrain, who will lead you on a brilliant and witty dramatic romp through the wynds, courtyards and pubs of Edinburgh's Old and New Town. A Hilarious duel of wits across three hundred years of great writing and colorful characters.
The Edinburgh Literary Pub Tour incorporates a dramatic script performed by two professional actors, not tour guides, reading from books. The tour reaches beyond the well-known figures of Burns, Scott and Stevenson and includes some of the most colorful, literary characters who have added humor and wit throughout the ages to the unique tavern life of The Old and The New Town.
This award-winning tour was the first literary tour launched in Edinburgh in 1996! It has since carried more than 150,000 satisfied customers on a dramatic literary trail across Edinburgh. It's regarded by many as a pioneer, and a "Must-see" cultural attraction in guide books throughout the world.
COVID-19 informationThe following health and safety measures are in place, so you can relax and enjoy your experience.
The experience complies with government regulations
Areas frequented by visitors are regularly disinfected
Guided walking tour
Beehive Inn, 18-20 Grassmarket, Edinburgh EH1 2JU, UK
Look out for the Ticketing person wearing a bright vest. The tour starts up the stairs at The Beehive Inn on the top floor
The Edinburgh Literary Pub Tour
Receive a 100% refund if you cancel up to 24 hours before the activity begins.
Important to know
- Kindly bring with you: a passport or ID card, rain gear and a student card if needed
- The tour starts promptly at 19:30pm from upstairs on the top floor of The Beehive, if you arrive late, you can join the tour after the first scene has finished
- Minimum age 18 as per Scottish Licensing law. Those under 25 may be asked for ID, so always carry one
- This tour operates rain or shine so kindly dress accordingly. However, under severe conditions, the actors might cancel the tour, and your online tickets will be refunded or transferred to another date
- The tour is not suitable for people with serious medical conditions or accessibility problems, due to several steps along the way and inside the pubs
- Please respect the actors when performing by not interrupting (unless they ask you to)
- Printed online confirmation is not required, as long as you have your voucher on your smartphone or tablet